UWCA’s history goes back to 1939, to aircraft repair shops responsible for maintenance of aircraft operating along Moscow – Irkutsk, Sverdlovsk – Moscow and Moscow – Magnitogorsk routes. On March 16, 1939 the shops were awarded a status of independent enterprise of the civil fleet of the USSR.
That date is recognized as the birthday of plant No. 404, presently known as the Ural Works of Civil Aviation.
The first repair and overhaul works were performed on U-2 and Po-2 aircraft as well as on M-11, M-17, MG-31 engines; during the years of war the plant expanded horizons of its capabilities. To meet the needs of our country the plant refocused on assembling of SB bombers and I-15/I-16 fighter aircraft, on replacement of engines on LI-2 aircraft and on repairs/overhaul of the most strongly sought-after engine — ASH-62 IR.
According to the wartime statistics, the output per shift averaged 135 parts for Katyusha rocket launchers.
Over 1941—1945 the plant workers put a record-high number of aircraft and engines into operation — 560 airplanes and 1,500 engines.
The war was over, and the plant entrusted with a new task of national significance — starting repairs and overhaul of ASH-82FN engines used on IL-12 civil aircraft.
To reach the required output of 8 thousand items the plant employees designed a new method — flowline repair and overhaul, which had never been used in the civil aviation before. Later on, the innovative method was successfully implemented at other plants and factories.
In 1956, after the required alterations had been made and equipment had been installed, the plant embarked on repairs and overhaul of ASH-82T piston engines for IL-14 aircraft.
The 1960s ushered in a period of fast-growing helicopter aviation and, subsequently, the increasing demand for overhaul of AS-82V engines and R-5 main gearboxes for Mi-4 helicopters.
The responsibility for fulfilling the task was taken by employees of the Ural plant, who had restored 15 thousand engines and 8 thousand gearboxes by 1987 and had satisfied the demand of the Soviet Aeroflot in full.
Another successful milestone was passed when in 1973 the Ural Works of Civil Aviation (formerly plant No. 404) started repair and overhaul operations on TV2-117A gas-turbine engines.
Shortly after, the monthly output went up from 5 engines to 180 engines! In 1975, the plant started overhaul operations on VR-8A main gearboxes for Mi-8 helicopters.
The logical end result of the decade was the awarded patent for unique designer technology — one-step assembly and combined acceptance-and-control tests of the TV2-117A engine and VR-8A gearbox.
BADGE OF HONOR
In 1981, the plant was awarded an Order of the Badge of Honor by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR.
The crowning achievements during the 1980s: Launching the structural analysis laboratory to monitor the turbine blade structure in terms of overheating by using electronic microscopes; completion of the construction of the MIS-2 engine-testing facility; the first bench start-up of the NK-8-2 engine.
During the crisis years, UWCA did not curtail the production. Moreover, it started overhaul operations for later TV3-117 helicopter engines and their modifications; it was the first in Russia to launch overhaul operations on GTD-350 engines for Mi-2 helicopters.
In 1999, UWCA’s excellent technical and research capabilities made it possible to start manufacturing EU-1500/3000 mobile power generation units, which could be used in all climatic zones at the height reaching one thousand meters above sea level. To meet the needs of gas pumping stations UWCA started repair and overhaul operations on NK16-ST motors.
The market reforms called for a broader product range, and one of the new focus areas was manufacturing of MAI-223 two-seater aircraft.
In 2003, UWCA offered repairs and overhaul for AI-9V engines; at the end of 2004 — repairs and overhaul for VR-24 gearboxes. In 2007, the first NK12-ST engine was disassembled to be tested only 9 month later. The turnaround time was shortened due to the considerable changes, first of all, due to the upgrading of the entire plant.
In 2013, UWCA started manufacturing Diamond light aircraft. In 2015, the Ural Works of Civil Aviation became an authorized representative of Textron Aviation in the Russian Federation and assembled Russia’s first Bell-407 light utility helicopter manufactured by Bell Helicopter Textron (USA).
In 2016, UWCA embarked on construction of a new assembly shop for L-410 universal two-engine aircraft for local airlines.
Today, the Ural Works of Civil Aviation of one of the few companies specializing in repairs and overhaul of aircraft engines, gearboxes and accessories. UWCA is steadily growing and the range of its operations. Over 70 years of changes, reforms, challenges and accomplishments UWCA has remained loyal to its principle: Safety in the sky begins with quality on the ground.